Choosing where to stay in Ubud carefully is important as it will have a direct impact on how much you enjoy your time in Bali’s cultural and historic centre.
Tegallantang Rice Terrace, Bali © kevinpoh
Ubud has a diverse selection of accommodation options, ranging from budget hotels and family owned homestays to some of Bali’s most luxurious resorts and private villas.
It’s also one of Bali’s most interesting towns, with a great selection of restaurants, cafés and fun activities aimed at people of all backgrounds. Add incredible scenery and interesting culture into the equation and it’s easy to see why so many people choose to stay in Ubud when in Bali.
Although Ubud is small, your choice of accommodation can have a huge impact on your overall experience as a visitor. Below, we’ve listed the best places to stay Ubud in a variety of different price ranges, from budget hotels to ultra-luxury resorts, villas and more.
- Ubud’s centre is compact and easy to explore on foot, making it the place you’ll want to stay if you don’t want to rent a scooter or rely on bemos or taxis.
- Most of Ubud’s resorts, especially luxury and mid range options, are located outside the centre of town, meaning you’ll need to plan ahead for transportation.
- Accommodation prices in Ubud range from very affordable to extremely expensive, with plenty of options in every price bracket.
Luxury Hotels and Resorts in Ubud
- Ubud has a great selection of luxury hotels and resorts, ranging from local resorts to well known international companies. Luxury accommodation is usually of a very high standard, with outdoor pools, spas and beautiful settings in Ubud’s stunning countryside.
- You’ll find a good variety of hotels and resorts within the luxury category, including ultra-luxury options as well as more affordable five star resorts. We’ve listed five of the top-rated high-end accommodation options in and around Ubud, along with a quick summary of each hotel.
Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
- As you’d expect from a Ritz-Carlton property, Mandapa is an incredible luxury resort that boasts some of the best suites, villas and facilities of any accommodation option in Ubud.
- Rooms here start from 100 square metres and offer great views of the rice paddies and dense rainforest that surrounds Ubud. The resort is a short drive north west of Ubud itself, with a quiet setting that makes it perfect for romantic getaways.
- If you’re looking for a world-class luxury resort and don’t mind premium prices, Mandapa is sure to fit the bill.
Kayumanis Ubud Private Villas & Spa
- Another ultra-luxurious accommodation option, Kayumanis Ubud Private Villas & Spa is a villa resort a short drive west of Ubud’s centre. The rooms here are gigantic, with even the smallest villas offering 300 square metres of living space and gardens for guests.
- Thanks to its quiet location outside of Ubud, Kayumanis offers spectacular view of the area’s rainforest scenery. The on-site dining options are diverse and high quality, making it easy to spend the entire day at the resort relaxing and unwinding.
- If privacy, luxury and a relaxing setting are what you’re searching for, you’ll have no trouble finding them at Kayumanis.
Natya Resort Ubud
- Slightly more affordable than Mandapa and Kayumanis, Natya Resort Ubud offers similar villas and private suites for about half the cost. The villas here are large and luxurious, with their own private swimming pools and relaxing views of the surrounding rainforest.
- Natya Resort is located approximately 15 minutes’ drive from the centre of Ubud, making it easy to access the town for dining, sightseeing and booking activities. The resort has a variety of high quality dining options, meaning you can also spend the day at home relaxing with ease.
- As one of Ubud’s top rated luxury resorts, Natya Resort Ubud is a great alternative to Mandapa and Kayumanis that offers a similar level of luxury at a slightly more affordable rate.
Plataran Ubud Hotel & Spa
- Located close to the centre of Ubud, Plataran Ubud Hotel & Spa is a stunning luxury resort that offers good value for money. If you prefer a hotel room to a private villa, you’ll enjoy this resort’s great location, high-end facilities and peaceful surroundings.
- Less than 10 minutes from Ubud Palace on foot, Plataran has one of the best locations of any luxury resort in the area for people that want to be close to the centre of Ubud. Despite its great location, it still manages to feel relaxed, peaceful and quiet.
- The only weakness of Plataran is that its rooms are slightly on the small side — a minor issue that’s more than made up for by the ultra-luxury facilities, beautiful setting and convenience factor.
Jungle Retreat Ubud
- Quiet and peaceful, Jungle Retreat Ubud is a lovely five star resort located a short drive north west of Ubud. With rainforest views, a luxurious spa and outdoor dining areas, this resort is a great escape from the increasingly busy centre of Ubud.
- Rooms at Jungle Retreat are spacious and comfortable, starting at 45 square metres with large amounts of natural sunlight. More affordable than many of the other luxury resorts in and around Ubud, Jungle Retreat is a great option if your priorities are rest, relaxation and tranquility.
Mid Range Hotels and Resorts in Ubud
Ubud really excels when it comes to mid range hotels and resorts. You can find a huge selection of affordable three and four star hotels around Ubud, many of which feature comfortable rooms and luxurious facilities such as outdoor pools, spas, yoga areas and more.
- Sri Ratih Cottages
This relaxing three star resort is located just west of Ubud’s town centre and offers a great range of rooms and suites. Rooms here are new, clean and furnished in a Balinese style. There’s also a swimming pool and spa, making Sri Ratih a great place to rest and relax.
- Ubud Wana Resort
Another mid-priced three star resort, Ubud Wana Resort is located south-west of Ubud’s main town centre. With large, modern rooms, spacious villas, nice gardens and high quality facilities for a hotel in this price range, this is a great choice for people on a moderate budget.
- Pertiwi Bisma 2
Pertiwi Bisma 2 is one of the best mid range resorts around Ubud, offering high quality facilities such as an outdoor infinity pool and great views over the surrounding rainforest. The rooms and villas here are comfortable and stylish, offering a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere.
Just 15 minutes from the centre of Ubud on foot, Pertiwi Bisma 2 is one of the best located mid range resorts in the area.
- Green Field Hotel and Restaurant
Surrounded by rice paddies, Green Field Hotel and Restaurant is a three star resort located just south of Ubud’s centre. Rooms here range from cosy and affordable to spacious and luxurious, with some rooms offering beautiful views over the surrounding farmland.
- Labak River Hotel
Another affordable resort located south of Ubud’s commercial centre, Labak River Hotel offers a great selection of modern rooms and facilities that include an outdoor pool, spa, wellness centre and more. Indonesian and Western dining is available in the on-site The Ubud restaurant.
Budget Hotels and Guesthouses in Ubud
Bali © sackerman519
While Ubus has gotten more expensive over the years, there’s still a great selection of budget hotels and guesthouses to choose from. Many options even include features you’d only expect to find in much more expensive hotels, such as swimming pools and spa facilities.
- Krisna House
Located close to the heart of Ubud, Krisna House combines a great location with cheap, clean and modern rooms. Facilities include an outdoor swimming pool with deck chairs that’s perfect for relaxing during the day, making this one of Ubud’s best budget hotel options.
- The Village Guest House
Another modern budget hotel near the centre of Ubud, The Village Guest House offers spacious rooms and a decent sized outdoor pool. There’s also a shared kitchen, letting you prepare your own food and coffee if you prefer not to dine out.
- Villa Omah Lembu
Remote and peaceful, Villa Omah Lembu is located 20 minutes south of Ubud’s centre by car or bemo. A variety of rooms and villas are available, offering a quiet experience surrounded by the area’s dense rainforest. One of the best low-cost resorts near Ubud.
- Jiwa’s House
Located less than five minutes from the centre of Ubud, Jiwa’s House is another great low-cost accommodation option for people that want to be close to the action. Rooms here are clean and stylishly furnished with four-poster beds and offer easy access to the hotels’s small pool.
- Odah Ayu Guest House
Another conveniently located option, Odah Ayu Guest House is less than one kilometre from the centre of Ubud. The rooms here are simple but clean and comfortable, with impressive Balinese architecture adding a bit of extra character to this budget hotel.
Bali Itineraries And Travel Tips
- Bali 1 Week Travel Itinerary
Bali is a unique, interesting island with a huge amount of things to do. A Bali 1 week traevl itinerary gives you a chance to see many of Bali’s highlights.
- 2 Week Bali Itinerary
A Bali 2 week travel itinerary is so full of rewarding activities that it’s possible to spend two weeks doing something different every day of your trip.
- Ubud Itinerary: One To Three Days In Ubud
An Ubud itinerary should be an essential part of any visit to Bali. Make the most of your time in Ubud with these 1, 2 and 3 day Ubud itineraries.
- How Much Money Do I Need For Bali
Bali is one the most spectacular and best value places to visit in all of South East Asia. Here’s a rundown by Russ Brooks of what to expect price wise.
- Where To Stay In Ubud
Choosing where to stay in Ubud carefully is important to make sure you enjoy your time in Bali’s cultural and historic centre.
- Bali Packing List
This packing list for Bali will help you make sure you don’t forget any of the essentials and let you enjoy your trip to the full.
- Top Tips For Female Travellers in Bali
Bali has become incredibly popular for solo female travellers to visit after the success of Eat, Pray, Love – Brooke Ferguson gives some practical tips on what to expect on the Island Of the Gods.