Vietnam is fully open to foreign tourists. You do not need to show proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test. There is also visa-free entry to Vietnam for many countries too.
Halong Bay © princeroy
As of May 15 2022, Vietnam suspended all Covid-19 requirements for foreign tourists to enter the country.
- You do not need to show proof of Covid vaccination.
- You do not need to show a negative PCR test on entry to Vietnam at Immigration.
- There is no PCR test required, no quarantine and, for many countries, no visa required either.
So entry to Vietnam is now the same as it was before the pandemic.
Do be aware your chosen airline may require proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test. Check with the airline before booking.
Do I Need A Visa To Enter Vietnam
For many nationalities, you can enter Vietnam without needing a visa either. You simply show up at Immigration and get a stamp to be allowed in the country for the number of days shown below:
15 days in Vietnam with no visa required:
Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, and the UK.
21 days in Vietnam with no visa required:
30 Days in Vietnam with no visa required:
Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand
If you are not from one of these countries, apply for the Vietnam e-Visa online at the official Vietnam government site.
If you are from one of those countries but want to stay longer than your non-visa allowed time, you’ll need to apply for an e-Visa too. 30 days seems to be the maximum time that’s currently allowed for tourists to stay in Vietnam, with longer tourist visas not currently available. This will probably change in 2023.
Travel Insurance For Vietnam
Before May 2022 there was a requirement for Vietnam entry that you have travel insurance which covers Covid-19 treatment for at least $10,000 USD. This does not appear to be something Immigration officials now ask to see on arrival in Vietnam. World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world.
Vietnam Itineraries And Trip Planning
- 1 Week Vietnam Itinerary - in seven days, you’ll be able to see Vietnam’s highlights, making your way from Ho Chi Minh City in the south to Ha Long Bay in the far north.
- 2 Weeks Vietnam Itinerary - from the busy streets of Saigon to the beauty of Hoi An and Halong Bay, spending two weeks in Vietnam gives you the chance to see most of the country’s top destinations without having to rush from one location to the next.
- 2 Weeks In Thailand And Vietnam Itinerary - our Two Weeks in Thailand and Vietnam itinerary lets you see the best of two of Southeast Asia’s most dynamic and rewarding destinations, all in just 14 days.
- 3 Weeks In Thailand, Cambodia And Vietnam Itinerary - our three weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam itinerary lets you experience three of Southeast Asia’s most exciting, rewarding and unique countries from multiple perspectives.
Vietnam Travel Tips
- How Much Money Do I Need In Vietnam? - use our guide to help you figure out how much your Vietnam trip will cost depending on where you want to go, what kind of accommodation you want to stay in and what activities you want to do.
- Packing List For Vietnam - don't forget a thing with our comprehensive list of what to pack for Vietnam.
- Halong Bay, Vietnam - A Quick Guide - there are hundreds of boats that want to take you on a tour of Halong Bay. Here's what to expect from a typical 2 day / 1 Night cruise.
- Where To Stay In Ho Chi Minh City - whatever your budget, here are some handpicked suggestions of where to stay in HCMC, broken down by price and location.
- Where To Stay In Hanoi - Vietnam's capital city has a stack of accommodation at all price brackets. Our Hanoi accommodation guide helps you find some of the best value for your money.
- Vietnam Travel Guide - see all Travelhappy's articles about travelling in Vietnam, including city guides, Vietnam itineraries and money-saving tips.