As of December 1st 2023, Thailand has fully reopened to tourists. There are no Covid requirements to enter the country. You do not need to show proof of vaccination or an ATK test on arrival.
Kantiang Bay, Koh Lanta, Thailand © AmazingLanta.com
UPDATE December 1 2023: Thailand Remains Open, No Vaccination Proof Required
Thailand remains fully open with no requirement to show proof of vaccination, no need to take a ATK test or any other COVID requirements.
It’s worth noting that your airline may want to see proof of vaccination before allowing you to board the plane. Check with your specific carrier for their latest policy updates.
You can compare flight prices to Thailand to start planning your trip.
Do I Have To Wear A Mask In Thailand?
The short answer is no. However, while rules about wearing masks outside in Thailand have been relaxed, many Thais still wear a mask in public, particularly in Bangkok. It’s no longer mandatory to wear a mask to enter shopping malls, workplaces or Bangkok’s BTS and MRT public transport systems without wearing a mask. But you’ll see most people still wear a mask, especially on public transport. It’s wise to have a mask with you, just in case.
Is Everything Open In Thailand?
Thailand is most definitely open again. Bangkok feels like it’s back to normal, Phuket is busy, the Full Moon Party is back in full swing, but some places like Koh Lanta are still coming back to life. Tourist numbers are down to about 30 to 40% of what they were in 2019, the last year before Covid, so there are definitely less tourists at the moment. Christmas 2023 going into New Year 2024 is probably going to get busy so checking in advance for hotel availability is wise, as is keeping an eye on flight costs.
Is Covid Still A Problem In Thailand?
Covid is still an ongoing problem in Thailand. While around 70% of the Bangkok population have been double vaccinated, the percentage is lower elsewhere in the country. If you have been double vaccinated, your symptoms should be mild if you catch it. Just be aware that, despite Thailand reopening, Covid has not gone away. However, deaths and hospitalisations have dropped significantly since the end of 2021, even with the arrival of the Omicron variant.
Bangkok Tuk Tuk © Didier Baertschiger
Planning Your Trip To Thailand
- There are great deals on hotels in Bangkok with Thailand re-opening – check on Booking.com and Agoda.com
- Quickly compare hundreds of flights to Thailand to find the best deals.
- Book a Bangkok airport transfer to take you hassle-free direct from the airport to your hotel with the driver meeting you in Arrivals.
- Check our Bangkok Itineraries for ideas of where to go and what to do.
- Rent a Pocket Wifi router which can connect several devices so you can have immediate internet access on your phone, laptop and tablet.
- Check the timetables of buses, trains and ferries in Thailand for your travels around the country as Covid disrupted many schedules.
- Don’t forget your toothbrush! Use our comprehensive Packing List for Thailand to make sure you bring everything you need.
Bangkok and Thailand Travel Itineraries
- 1 Day In Bangkok: Must See Itinerary
Only have 1 day in Bangkok? You can see many of Bangkok’s iconic attractions in the space of a day, plus sample some great food and enjoy the nightlife too.
- 2 Days in Bangkok Itinerary
With just 2 days in Bangkok you still have time to enjoy its impressive cultural sites as well as its fine selection of shopping and dining. Check out this 2 day Bangkok itinerary.
- 3 Days in Bangkok Itinerary
From temples and museums to shopping malls and outdoor markets, Bangkok has more than enough to keep you occupied for 3 days in Bangkok.
- 1 Week In Bangkok Travel Itinerary
While most visitors spend a few days in the capital before travelling elsewhere in Thailand, it’s far from challenging to spend a week in Bangkok taking in all that the city has to offer.
- 1 Week Thailand Beaches Itinerary
Thailand has hundreds of great beaches, ranging from large tourist resorts to remote beaches largely undiscovered by tourists. Thailand’s long coastline and wide range of destinations make it arguably Asia’s best destination for lovers of sand, sea and sun.
- 1 Week Bangkok And Mountains Itinerary
Planning a trip to Thailand but prefer not to spend too much time on the beach? While Thailand is best known for its beautiful beaches, its capital city and mountain destinations are also great places to spend your holiday.
- 1 Week In Chiang Mai Itinerary
Thailand’s mountainous north offers a very different experience from its famous southern beach destinations. A cooler climate, beautiful mountainous scenery and a more relaxed, laid back feel make northern Thailand a unique destination that’s worth experiencing.
- 2 Weeks In Thailand And Vietnam Itinerary
Our Two Weeks in Thailand and Vietnam itinerary lets you see the best of two of Southeast Asia’s most dynamic and rewarding destinations, all in just 14 days.
- 2 Weeks In Thailand And Cambodia Itinerary
Our Two Weeks in Thailand and Cambodia itinerary includes everything from modern cities and relaxing beach resorts to some of the world’s most incredible historical temple complexes and ancient cities
- 3 Weeks In Thailand, Cambodia And Vietnam
Our Three Weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam itinerary lets you experience three of Southeast Asia’s most exciting, rewarding and unique countries from multiple perspectives.