Wondering where to stay in Yangon? Our guide to Yangon’s districts and the best hotels in each area can help you get the most out of your stay
Yangon © soelin
Incredible temples, charming colonial architecture and scenic lakes make Myanmar’s largest city and former capital a rewarding place to visit.
Like most large cities, Yangon can be divided into several areas, each with their own personality and feel. From Yangon’s increasingly bustling downtown to the fascinating temples found further north, Yangon’s neighbourhoods each offer a very different experience.
For the most part, you’ll want to stay in Downtown Yangon or Northern Yangon for your first visit to the city. Inya Lake, which is located further north, is also a popular tourism area, with a variety of hotels to choose from.
Below, we’ve listed the three best areas to stay in while visiting Yangon, with a brief description and hotel recommendations for each area. If you’re visiting Yangon for the first time, make sure to pick one of these three areas for the best experience.
- While Yangon is a large city (the population is approximately five million), its downtown area is fairly compact and walkable.
- Downtown Yangon is the most convenient part of the city to stay in, with a good range of hotels and a variety of attractions within walking distance.
- Northern Yangon is home to the Shwedagon Pagoda and Kandawgyi Lake, making it a good place to stay if you want to be close to Yangon’s most important historical site.
- Inya Lake, a large lake in the far north of Yangon, is a popular recreation area with a variety of luxury hotels around its shores.
Sule Pagoda © jasoneppink
- Downtown Yangon is the city’s commercial centre — a mix of colonial buildings, historical sites and modern development that’s located in the south of Yangon. You can find the Sule Pagoda and a great variety of 19th century British colonial buildings in this part of Yangon.
- Many of Yangon’s luxury hotels are located downtown, including the famous Strand Hotel. The entire Downtown Yangon area is walkable, with a simple grid street pattern that makes finding buildings and attractions quick and easy.
- There’s a good mix of dining options in the Downtown Yangon area, with everything from local food to international cuisine available.
- If you’re visiting Yangon for the first time and want to be close to the best historical sites but also in a convenient, modern area, Downtown Yangon is a good choice. From Downtown Yangon, it’s a short taxi ride to areas of interest such as the Shwedagon Pagoda and Kandawgyi Lake.
Luxury Hotels in Downtown Yangon
- The Strand Hotel, Yangon
One of Myanmar’s most famous hotels, the Strand Hotel is an iconic luxury hotel open since the early years of the 20th century with an excellent location on Downtown Yangon’s Strand Road.
- PARKROYAL Yangon
A more modern luxury accommodation option, the PARKROYAL Yangon is located in the heart of Downtown Yangon, with stylish rooms, an outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre and more.
Mid Range Hotels in Downtown Yangon
- Best Western Chinatown Hotel
Modern and comfortable, the Best Western Chinatown Hotel has a great location on Anawrahta Road, close to the centre of Downtown Yangon, with a variety of well decorated guestrooms.
- Taw Win Garden Hotel
Located just north of Downtown Yangon, Taw Win Garden Hotel offers spacious rooms and a great location between Downtown Yangon and attractions like the Shwedagon Pagoda.
Budget Hotels in Downtown Yangon
- Sule Sapphire Inn
Cheap and simple, Sule Sapphire Inn is a clean and comfortable two star hotel located minutes from the Sule Pagoda in the centre of Downtown Yangon.
- 15th Street @ Downtown Yangon
Another good budget accommodation option, 15th Street @ Downtown Yangon offers clean and cosy rooms with modern furniture at very affordable prices.
CAPTION © 21160499@N04
- Northern Yangon is a quieter, more peaceful area than Downtown Yangon in which you can find Kandawgyi Lake and the Shwedagon Pagoda. If you want to be close to Yangon’s top historical attractions, this is where you’ll want to stay.
- Like Downtown Yangon, Northern Yangon has a good selection of hotels in all price ranges, as well as a reasonable selection of dining options. Downtown Yangon is also a short drive away, making it easy to get to the central city for sightseeing, dining and shopping.
Luxury Hotels in Northern Yangon
- Savoy Hotel
The Savoy Hotel Yangon is a boutique luxury hotel with a 19th century colonial feel. The rooms here are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable, while the outdoor pool and courtyard is ideal for relaxing after a day of exploring Yangon.
- Chatrium Hotel Royal Lake Yangon
Located close to Kandawgyi Lake, Chatrium Hotel Royal Lake Yangon is a modern luxury hotel with a great variety of rooms and suites, plus a spa, swimming pool and fitness centre.
Mid Range Hotels in Northern Yangon
- Summit Parkview Yangon
Located less than five minutes from the Shwedagon Pagoda by taxi, Summit Parkview Yangon is a popular albeit slightly dated four star hotel with clean, comfortable rooms.
- Merchant Art Boutique Hotel
Another conveniently located hotel close to the Shwedagon Pagoda, Merchant Art Boutique Hotel is a modern four star boutique hotel with artistic, stylishly decorated rooms.
Budget Hotels in Northern Yangon
- Pickled Tea Hostel
Just 1.3km from the Shwedagon Pagoda, Pickled Tea Hostel is a modern hostel with clean and comfortable private rooms and dormitory beds at good prices for Yangon.
- Hundred Moon
Another budget option close to the Shwedagon Pagoda, Hundred Moon is a simple, comfortable two star hotel with spacious, clean and well decorated rooms.
Inya Lake © thrillseekr
- Yangon’s largest lake, Inya Lake is a popular recreation spot and an exclusive area that’s home to some of Yangon’s wealthiest citizens. The shores of Inya Lake house a variety of hotels and restaurants, making it a relaxing and convenient place to stay.
- If you want to enjoy a quiet side of Yangon that most tourists don’t see while still being only eight to 10 kilometres from the rest of the city, Inya Lake is a good place to base yourself during your time in the city.
Luxury Hotels Near Inya Lake
- Melia Yangon
Melia Yangon is a large, modern luxury hotel located right on the banks of Inya Lake. The rooms here are spacious and luxurious, with great views of the lake and access to the hotel’s excellent swimming pool, spa and fitness centre.
- Lotte Hotels & Resorts Yangon
Another large five star hotel on the lakefront, Lotte Hotels & Resort Yangon has a huge selection of spacious rooms and suites, an indoor pool, spa, fitness centre and several restaurants.
Mid Range Hotels Near Inya Lake
- Bike World Myanmar Bed, Breakfast and Bike
Bike World Myanmar is an affordable bed and breakfast located close to Inya Lake with a variety of rooms, a charming on-site restaurant and bike rentals for guests that want to explore the area around the lake.
- The Link Yangon Boutique Hotel
Located just a few blocks away from Inya Lake, The Link Yangon is a small boutique hotel with a selection of clean, modern and affordable rooms managed by friendly, helpful staff.
Budget Hotels Near Inya Lake
- Majesty Residence
Located on the northern side of Inya Lake, Majesty Residence offers cheap and simple rooms just six kilometres from the Shwedagon Pagoda and eight kilometres from Downtown Yangon.
- Yangon Hub
Yangon Hub is a cheap, clean and comfortable backpacker’s hostel in a quiet neighbourhood to the west of Inya Lake. Twin and double rooms are available here, as well as inexpensive beds in mixed dorms.